Altru’s Heart & Vascular Services offers comprehensive heart and vascular care at numerous convenient locations. As your health partner, our goal is to help you lead a healthy, enjoyable life. Our heart and vascular services include state-of-the-art equipment and operating rooms, two cardiac catheterization labs, an electrophysiology lab, and exam rooms for echocardiography and stress testing.
A Leader in Heart and Vascular Care
We are consistently ranked as one of the best hospitals for heart failure care by U.S. News & World Report. The annual U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings recognize hospitals that excel in treating the most challenging patients. Altru’s Heart and Vascular Services continues to demonstrate success in preventing deaths, decreasing readmission and reducing complications.
How Patients Rank Us
Altru’s Heart & Vascular Services patients tell the story of our care better than any award. Here’s what our patients had to say about their cardiology experiences:
“I was so impressed with the care that I didn’t even want to go home.”
— Craig C.
“They saved my life, twice. I can’t say enough for what they’ve done.”
— Brad B.
“Everything must have run like clockwork, or I wouldn’t be here.”
— Mark H.
Is my heart healthy?
Half of adults have at least one risk factor for heart problems—are you one of them? Find out by answering a few questions. Take the Quiz.
At Altru, cardiologists, heart and vascular surgeons, vascular medicine specialists, chronic wound specialists, interventional radiologists, nurses, therapists, dietitians, technical staff, and support professionals work collaboratively to provide comprehensive and compassionate heart and vascular care. Along with educating patients about heart attack prevention, our team creates individualized treatment plans that fit your needs and lifestyle.
Our specialties include:
- Specialized Heart Clinics - Altru provides specialized heart clinics for all of your heart care needs. Our expert heart specialists in the Rhythm Management Clinic, Electrophysiology Clinic, Adult Congenital Heart Defect Clinic, Anticoagulation Clinic, Heart Failure Success Clinic and Structural Heart Clinic are here to help you keep your heart healthy.
- Adult Congenital Heart Defect Clinic - Altru’s Cardiology supports visiting specialists in providing an Adult Congenital Heart Defect Clinic once a month at Altru 1300 Columbia. For more information about the Adult Congenital Heart Defect Clinic, call 701.780.6236.
- Anticoagulation Clinic - Altru’s Anticoagulation Clinic provides special anti-clotting therapy through standardized medication, monitoring protocols and patient education. Based on each patient's needs, Altru’s Anticoagulation Clinic will review standard practices, teach individuals how and when to take their medication and provide information on any other lab work that may be needed. The Anticoagulation Clinic is located in our facility at Altru 1300 Columbia. For more information, call 701.780.6743.
- Heart Failure Success Clinic - Altru’s Heart Failure Success Clinic specializes in the treatment of patients with a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. Our multidisciplinary team determines an effective course of treatment to keep people from returning to the hospital or emergency room. This comprehensive clinic focuses on improving patient quality of life through medical treatment, education and support services. For more information, call 701.780.6236.
- Structural Heart Clinic - Providers with Altru’s Structural Heart Clinic specialize in treatment of structural conditions of the heart.
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closure - An ASD is an opening between the heart’s two upper chambers. While small holes don’t always need to be repaired, many larger ASDs can be “plugged” during a cardiac catheterization procedure. If the ASD can’t be repaired by cardiac catheterization, open-heart surgery may be necessary.
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Closure - Before birth, every fetus has a natural opening between the upper chambers of the heart, and for about 75% of infants that opening closes completely within the first few months after birth. If the hole doesn’t close and problems develop as a result, it can be repaired during a cardiac catheterization or open-heart surgery.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) - TAVR is a minimally invasive procedure for patients with aortic valve stenosis, or a narrowing of the valve. This procedure replaces the aortic valve without opening the chest.
- WATCHMAN - WATCHMAN, a permanent implant placed during a one-time procedure, can safely lower a patient’s risk for stroke without a bleeding risk. After patients have the WATCHMAN placed, they no longer need the regular blood tests and restrictions on food and drink that are often in place with blood thinner use.
Today, we have a team of more than 20 providers across five specialties aimed at comprehensive heart and vascular care.
Altru’s cardiology services boast three state-of-the-art cardiac cath labs providing outpatient and inpatient cardiology care. Services include education, diagnostic examinations, treatment and interventions.
Our cardiac rehabilitation program offers a mix of exercise, education and risk factor modification to patients who are recovering from heart attack, stroke or cardiothoracic surgery.
Altru’s cardiothoracic team specializes in surgical intervention for diseases of the heart. We offer a wide array of surgeries, including coronary artery bypass and valve repair or replacement.
Specialists in interventional radiology perform minimally invasive procedures using image guidance, providing visual road maps to safely guide instruments through the body.
Altru’s Vascular Medicine evaluates circulatory disturbances involving blood flow to the brain, arms, hands, legs and feet. We also provide individualized treatment plans for chronic wounds.
Skilled surgeons with Altru’s Vascular Surgery perform non-invasive diagnostic tests, medical treatments, minimally invasive procedures and open surgeries, when necessary.
Altru’s Heart & Vascular Services are based in Grand Forks, with specialist outreach throughout the region.
If you need cardiac or vascular care, request an appointment through MyChart.